Public sewers - Blaby District Council

Skip To Content


Public sewers

Adoption of Private Sewers and Lateral Drains by Water Authorities

Government has approved legislation which from the 1st October 2011 transfers ownership of all privately owned shared drains to the water authorities (i.e. Severn Trent Water Ltd in this area) which from then on will become "public sewers".

The Private Sewers and Lateral Drains legislation does not amend the drainage legislation within the Building Regulations and as yet Local authorities have received no guidance from the Government on how this will impact on the requirements of the Building Regulations.

Water companies should already have contacted all bill payers in their areas to explain the proposals. For further information on the transfer of your drains to the water authority and any impact this may have on proposals to extend your property, please contact either:

Severn Trent Water Limited
Telephone: 08456 016 616

Department for Environment Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA)
Telephone: 08459 335 577
DEFRA's - sewers¬†

If you are intending to carry out any of the following work on a property you are advised to seek advice from the relevant Water Authority:

  1. Build an extension over or within 3m of a public sewer
  2. Construct a new building over or within 3m of a public sewer
  3. Make a new direct or indirect drainage connection to a public sewer


Building Control 
Blaby District Council 
Council Offices 
Desford Road 
LE19 2EP
Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 272 7533
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 272 7599
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 27 February 2015

Website feedback Did you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates