Building regulations enforcement - Blaby District Council

Skip To Content


Building regulations enforcement


The Council has the power to enforce the Building Regulations and take formal action against any contraventions and/or breaches, as detailed in The Building Act 1984.

Further information

The common contraventions and/or breaches of the Building Regulations are:

  • Failure to give notice and deposit plans before commencing work.
  • Failure to give notice to inspect various stages of construction before covering up.
  • Contraventions of specific regulations.
  • Failure to give notice of completion of the work.

The most common types of work carried out without people realising the need for approval are:

  • The removal of a load-bearing wall.
  • A roof space conversion.
  • Enlarging a window or door opening.
  • Installing a central heating boiler or open fireplace.
  • Installing new drainage.
  • Converting outhouses or garages for habitable use.
  • Rebuilding after demolition.
  • Erection of an exempt conservatory but removing the wall or doors between it and the dwelling, thereby making it an extension to the house which is no longer exempt.
  • Recovering of roofs.

All of these works are defined as material alterations and should therefore receive formal approval and inspection. Only works which can be classed as maintenance and repair work are exempt from control under the Building Regulations.

In the majority of cases the problems are solved amicably but the Council will take action, where necessary, to ensure health and safety and to preserve good standards of construction. It should be noted that if the works are carried out without notice and/or inspection, then the unauthorised work will be declared on any land charge search made on the property which may affect the sale of your property.

In addition, the Local Authority may ask for the structure to be opened-up and/or take enforcement action.

Please click the link below should you wish to report unauthorised building work.

For building works which have been carried out unauthorised without enforcement being taken against them and work commenced on or after 11th November 1985, it may be possible to submit a Regularisation Application to gain retrospective approval for the unauthorised work (The link to make a Regularisation Application can be found under Making an Application in the related pages above and can be submitted online).


Building Control 
Blaby District Council 
Council Offices 
Desford Road 
LE19 2EP
Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 272 7533
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 272 7599
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 03 November 2016

Website feedback Did you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates