Most work involving alterations to buildings will require either planning permission or building regulation approval or both from the District Council.
The Building Regulations are a set of rules with which owners/developers are legally obliged to comply in the interest of public health and safety and they are supported by a set of “Approved Documents”
If you are planning to carry out any of the following work then a Building Regulations application is required:
- New dwellings, alterations, extensions and conversions.
- Virtually all alterations to commercial buildings.
- Minor alterations such as the installation of additional bathroom fittings and associated drainage, changes of use, garage conversions, loft conversions and unvented boiler systems.
- Renovation to a thermal element i.e. roofs, external walls, etc.
It is Building Control’s policy to deal with all applications deposited under the Building Regulations within the prescribed periods. Applications which are satisfactory on submission are usually approved within three weeks of deposit.
Notifiable inspections are normally dealt with within 24 hours and same day inspections can usually be provided if notification is received before 10.00 a.m.
Validity of building regulation approval
Building regulation approval remains valid for a period of 3 years. You can apply for an extension if required.
Works that may not require approval
The following may not require a building regulation approval. You should check with Building Control to confirm
- replacement windows
- replacing features like for like
- installing thermal insulation
- balanced flues
- lining a flue
- attached conservatories, porches, greenhouses, car ports and covered areas
- detached garages and garden sheds
Please note that the granting of Building Regulations Approval does not convey nor imply any Approval under the Town and Country Planning Acts. You are advised that Planning Permission may be required for these works. You are therefore advised to contact our Planning Department on 0116 2727705 or email email@example.com for advice.
Guidance on renovating thermal elements
Guidance on loft conversions
Guidance on garage conversions
A Guide to Renovating Your Home
A Guide to Extending Your Home
A Guide to Electrical Safety
Find a Registered Electrician