Refuse bins - Blaby District Council

Skip To Content


Refuse bins


We provide wheelie bins and bags for the collection of household waste.

What can I put in my refuse bin?

You can put anything in your refuse bin that can’t be recycled through your kerbside recycling collection, eg food waste.

Please do not put the following in your refuse bin:

  1. Garden waste – please sign up for a garden waste bin
  2. Paint – take unwanted paint and empty paint tins to Whetstone tip (permit will be required from Leicestershire County Council)
  3. Builders rubble/waste, including soil and concrete

Further information

Households of up to three residents are issued with one 140ltr wheeled bin (black lid) for household waste.

Households with 4-6 permanent residents are entitled to one 240ltr wheeled bin (black lid) for household waste.

Households with 7 or more permanent residents are entitled to one 240ltr and one 140ltr wheeled bins (black lids) for household waste.

In addition, purple side waste bags are available, if you only have extra waste on occasions. These can be bought from various outlets in the district.

  • Purple refuse sacks - £8.00 for pack of 3     

When moving within the district, we advise you to take your refuse, recycling and garden waste bins with you.

Q: What do I do if I have already moved house and left the bins at my old property?

A: If the bins at your property are not suitable, or there are no bins there at all, you will need to order new bins from us (a payment may be required for your new bins depending on  your circumstances).

Replacement Bins

The Council will charge for replacement bins if they have been damaged on purpose or if they have been stolen or are reported as missing.

The charges are for the replacement of the old bin and for delivery.  The charge is not for the new bin and the new bin will continue to be the property of the Council.

Charges for replacement bins are £30 regardless of bin size.

We will not charge for wear and tear damage to bins, eg broken lids, missing lid pins, splits to the body of the bin or damaged wheels.

Before you report your bin as stolen or missing please check your neighbours' gardens to see if it has been taken and check around the area to make sure the bin isn't further down the road/been misplaced.

The bins are your responsibility, it is up to you to keep your bins safe and to retrieve your bins from your neighbours.  We do not replace dirty bins, it is your responsibility to keep your bins clean.


Refuse and garden bag stockists

For those properties unable to accommodate wheeled bins, we do provide refuse sacks free of charge. These are delivered by us on a quarterly basis.


Neighbourhood Services
Blaby District Council
Council Offices
Desford Road
LE19 2EP
Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 272 7555
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 275 0368
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 01 February 2018

Website feedback Did you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates