From 13 June 2018, Universal Credit will be available to working age residents of Blaby who live in the Leicester Job Centre. Universal Credit has been available to residents who live in the Hinckley Jobcentre area since 8 March 2017.
Universal credit will replace the following benefits:
- Jobseekers allowance (income based)
- Income related employment and support allowance
- Income support
- Child tax credit
- Working tax credit
- Housing benefit for those of working age
Universal credit will be administered by the Department for Works and Pensions
Visit the gov.uk website to find out if you qualify for Universal Credit.
If you have difficulty applying online please contact the Universal Credit Services Centre on 0345 600 0723.
Council Tax Support
If you want help to pay your Council Tax you will still have to apply for Council Tax Support from Blaby District Council.
Information on how to claim
How to get ready for Universal credit
- Have a bank or building society account that can receive payments
- If you have a partner and you are both eligible to claim universal credit, the payment will be made as a single monthly payment so you will need to decide which one of you will receive it
- Make sure that you have an email address
- You will need access to the internet: if you do not have internet access at home you will need to visit your local Job Centre Plus office, Library or advice agency such as Citizens Advice or here at the Council Offices.
When universal credit is awarded:
- Set up direct debits from your bank account to help manage your rent
- Draw up a budget
Getting into credit on your rent account now could help you avoid rent arrears in the future. Paying a little bit extra each week can help safeguard against unwanted future arrears.
For more information about Universal Credit please visit the website: www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk.