Leicestershire welfare provision and social fund - Blaby District Council

Due to essential maintenance between 9am Friday 24 February to Wednesday 1 March you will be unable to register or view your Council Tax online. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Leicestershire welfare provision and social fund

Leicestershire Welfare Provision

From 12 noon on 31 March 2015 the Leicestershire Welfare Provision scheme closed to new applications.

Leicestershire County Council have published a guide to organisations that may be able to assist in the future: Crisis and emergency support - Advice and information [PDF].

Crisis and emergency support

Blaby District Council may be able to offer help with emergency food and heating scheme. (see below).

We may also be able to help with access to recycled Furniture and Large Kitchen Appliances for certain residents for a limited period – please contact Housing Options Team 0116 2727770.

Food and heating help

Help with money is available from the government's Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). If you are short of money because of a new benefit claim then please ask the DWP for a Short Term Benefit Advance (or a Universal Credit Advance if you are claiming Universal Credit). The rules are lengthy and you should seek help from an advice agency if you have any problems.

Blaby District Council has received limited funding via Leicestershire County Council and working with partners offers a food parcel in an emergency. To qualify you must be normally resident in the district, not have received help previously under this scheme and not have any food. Please ring the Benefits Team on 0116 2727510 if you require help.

Help with heating in an emergency may also be available. If you pay gas and electricity on a meter please ring the Benefits Team on 0116 2727510 to ask for assistance.

If you cannot meet your bills or have arrears in respect of gas, electricity and water you should contact your utility company to discuss a repayment plan, if necessary with an agency such as Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

 Crisis Loan Alignment Payments Replacement

From April 2013, Crisis Loan alignment payments and other crisis loans paid due to issues with benefit will be replaced by a new national scheme of short term advances. This will be administered by the Department for Work and Pensions. 


Benefits Team  
Blaby District Council  
Council Offices  
Desford Road  
LE19 2EP

Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 272 7510
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 272 7591
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 13 April 2015

Website feedbackDid you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates Socitm Better Connected, measuring quality in council websites