Backdated claims - Blaby District Council

Skip To Content


Backdated claims


With effect from 1st April 2016, if you are of working age, the maximum period that a Housing Benefit claim can be backdated is one month.

If you are of working age we can backdate a Council Tax Support claim up to six months.

If you are of qualifying age for State Pension Credit,  your claim for either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support can be backdated three months from the date you made your claim.

We will normally start your claim from the Monday after we receive your application form. You can ask for your claim to be backdated if there is a reason why you were unable to apply for your benefit earlier.


Request for backdated benefit

Further information

In order for a claim to be backdated you will have to show 'good cause' why you did not apply earlier.

 The 'good cause' must have existed continuously during the period of your backdate request. Some examples of when you may have good cause are:

  • If you did not immediately claim after leaving hospital

  • If you were ill and had no-one to make a claim on your behalf

  • If you did not understand that you could claim benefit perhaps because of age or language difficulties

  • If you have suffered a recent family bereavement

You will need to provide evidence of your income and capital and circumstances for the period of your backdating request.

Related Pages


Benefits Team   
Blaby District Council   
Council Offices   
Desford Road   
LE19 2EP

Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 272 7510
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 272 7591
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 18 May 2016

Website feedback Did you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates