Changes to housing benefit - Blaby District Council

Due to essential maintenance between 9am Friday 24 February to Wednesday 1 March you will be unable to register or view your Council Tax online. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Housing Benefit - changes in the law

Universal Credit October 2013-2017

A single benefit called Universal Credit will replace:

  • Working Tax Credit

  • Child Tax Credit

  • Housing Benefit

  • Income Support

  • Income based Jobseekers Allowance

  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance

It will not include:

  • Contribution based Jobseekers Allowance

  • Contributions based Employment Support Allowance

  • Carers Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payments

If you would like to find out if you qualify for Universal Credit please follow the attached link below:

Changes to the size criteria rules for disabled children - December 2013

The Government has now amended the law to allow for an extra bedroom for a severely disabled child who would normally be expected to share a room under the size criteria rules but who is not reasonably able to do so due to severe disability.

To be considered under this legislation the child in question must have been assessed and be entitled to the DLA care component at the highest or middle rates.

If the child meets the above criteria the Local Authority must make an assessment as to whether or not the child’s disability makes it unreasonable for them to share a bedroom. This will be a judgement on the basis of the facts.  

Under Occupation in the social rented sector – from April 2013

Housing Benefit for working age housing association tenants will be reduced if the home they live in is larger than they need i.e. if they have an extra bedroom they will have their housing benefit reduced by:

  • 14 % reduction for a home with one spare bedroom.
  • 25 % reduction for a home with two spare bedrooms
  • You may need to consider moving or make up the shortfall in rent

Rules for housing rent in the social sector are now the same as the Local Housing Allowance size rules.

Under current rules you are entitled to one bedroom for:

  • every adult couple (married or unmarried)
  • Any other adult aged 16 or over
  • Any two children of the same sex aged under 16
  • Any two children aged under 10
  • One additional room will be allowed for disabled people if they need and actually receive overnight care from someone who does not live with them, where they have a ‘spare’ bedroom for them to use.

Capping overall benefits from April 2013 

 The Government is introducing a limit on the total of benefits which working age people can be paid. The government expects this limit to help match the income of average working families with people receiving out of work benefits.

The new limits are expected to be set by the Government at:

  • £350 a week for single adults with no children.
  • £500 a week for couples (with or without children) and lone parents with dependant children.

Housing Benefit will be reduced to achieve the capping level.

There are some exceptions - 

Exempt households are those with someone claiming:

  • disability living allowance
  • working tax credit
  • or with a war widow/er



Benefits Team  
Blaby District Council  
Council Offices  
Desford Road  
LE19 2EP

Email Image Icon
Email Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
Telephone Image Icon
0116 272 7510
Fax Image Icon
Fax Image Icon
0116 272 7591
Minicom Image Icon
Minicom Image Icon
0116 284 9786
Last updated: 18 May 2016

Website feedbackDid you find what you are looking for?

Is this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?

If you want to give comments on the service itself, please use the Blaby District Council feedback form.

Feedback success

Thank you

Your feedback has been submitted.

A-Z of Services A-Z
Email Updates Socitm Better Connected, measuring quality in council websites